For many of us, the holiday season is a time of family togetherness, excited children, and vacation chill time. For others, this season can be a time of stress and struggle, especially if you are suffering from mood disorders, substance abuse, or other mental health challenges.
The holiday blues can be brought on by:
- Not being able to be with your family/friends
- Over-commercialization of the holiday
- Unrealistic expectations
- Financial and family stresses
To help combat some of these stressors, consider the following:
- Self-care – Whatever you will need to get through the holidays, some alone time, reading a book, seeing a family member…make those a priority for yourself.
- Pace yourself –Set achievable goals and include your ‘me time’ as one of them.
- Curb your high expectations – Perfection is an illusion
- Avoidance – If certain things are triggers, such as family drama, alcohol, food, spending…make a plan in advance on how you will avoid/limit them.
- Enjoy special moments – Find new ways to celebrate – an outdoor walk or skate, hot chocolate with neighbours…spread some holiday cheer.